At the trade fair, Eaton demonstrated an array of practical applications to enable machine builders, industrial building owners and grid operators to take advantage of the opportunities created by the Internet of Things and the energy transition.
With more and more manufacturers not relying only on machinery and automation to decrease cycle times, there’s a demand to pursue technology with solutions that are easy to set up, provide simple operator interface and reduce downtime such as electric and hydraulic systems. Using these motion systems has the potential to affect costs, performance, flexibility, reliability, ease of use and maintenance.
Under the theme of integrated industry technologies, Eaton displayed cloud enabled electrical and hydraulic systems for more efficient, safe and intelligent machines. The choice for heavy loads when immediate motion is required, hydraulics allow for full velocity to be achieved quickly and are inherently powerful, and combine hydraulic actuators with integrated digital control electronics. While electric control are at the optimum when absolute accuracy of movement is required or when continuous motion needed.
Highlights on the Eaton stand, C71included:
• A virtual space with HoloLens technology so visitors can experience for themselves the integration of Eaton’s electrical and hydraulic systems
• An electro-hydraulic precision control machine will show how hydraulics have been networked via an intelligent SmartWire-DT module
• Several IoT ready hydraulic smart components for distributed intelligence and energy efficiency. Eaton’s AxisPro series of intelligent industrial valves feature software configuration, on board diagnostics and distributed intelligent controls. Additionally Eaton will demonstrate the new generation of Pro-FX 2.0 software for use with its AxisPro series
• Eaton’s comprehensive range of digital drives and switchgear for safe and efficient machine-building applications. Highlights include the new digital NZM circuit breakers, which have been equipped for convenient lifecycle management
• Intelligent automation technologies for controlling and operating small and medium-sized machines, which have been developed with Industry 4.0 applications in mind. At the heart of the technology lies Eaton’s new XC300 PLC which incorporates advanced IT security, with a possibility to connect to Eaton’s Predictive Maintenance Portal. Together with T-Systems, Eaton has developed an integrated system for safe and easy IoT entry
Having recently demonstrated its commitment to the African region with the first of its kind microgrid in Wadeville, Johannesburg in South Africa, tradeshow attendees also got a glimpse through a video showcase of the microgrid that uses second life electric vehicle batteries and Eaton’s unique xStorage portfolio of energy storage solutions.
In the energy sector, IoT technologies have become even more relevant for renewable energy since these tools can enable the smooth integration of two-way power flows from intermittent distributed resources. There are many reasons to be optimistic about IoT devices to communicate and share data in real time, or near-real time.
In terms of the energy transition, Eaton showcased its latest offerings to help building owners and grid operators take advantage of the opportunities created by the shift towards a decentralized energy system. Highlights included:
• Eaton’s pioneering SF6-free medium voltage switching equipment used by industry and distribution grids. This is especially relevant now as the EU reconsiders banning the use of this extremely environmentally damaging gas completely in the coming years
• xStorage residential and commercial energy storage systems to help energy prosumers, reduce energy bills, provide backup power as well as valuable grid services such as frequency regulation
• Microgrid control system Power Xpert Optimizer which also enables increased sustainability and resiliency of power
For more information, visit www.eaton.com.
- Ends -
Eaton is a power management company with 2017 sales of $20.4 billion. We provide energy-efficient solutions that help our customers effectively manage electrical, hydraulic and mechanical power more efficiently, safely and sustainably. Eaton is dedicated to improving the quality of life and the environment through the use of power management technologies and services. Eaton has approximately 96,000 employees and sells products to customers in more than 175 countries. For more information, visit Eaton.com.
Eaton is a sponsor at this year's African Utility Week Industry Awards.