The Initiate! Young Talent Programme welcomes students and young professionals about to graduate and ready to work in the industry or under 35 and working for a utility - join us!
Young Talent Challenge
Why you should apply to participate in the Young Talent Challenge:
- You will network with your peers, share your knowledge
- You will work with other utility professionals to put your ideas into practice to present an innovative solution to the posed challenge.
- By joining the programme you have access to the African Utility Week and POWERGEN Africa conference programme where you will additionally be able to network with the policymakers, thought leaders and utility giants.
What does the Young Talent Challenge entail?
The Initiate! 3-day challenge is for postgraduate students enrolled at Stellenbosch University, University of Cape Town, the University of Witwatersrand, and Strathmore University.
Four students will be selected to represent their university to complete a series of challenges where they'll have the opportunity to fully immerse themselves in the conference and exhibition.
On the last day, students will be invited to our ‘Ideas Pitching Platform’ at the Training and Development workshop, where each team will have 5-10 minutes to pitch their innovation to a prestigious committee of judges.
Not only could your team win great prizes, as a participant you will receive:
- Paid-for economy flights to and from Cape Town, accommodation and meals
- Incubate your innovation with our knowledge partner, The Innovation Hub
- An opportunity to be interviewed by ESI Africa, Africa's leading power and energy journal, where you can showcase your research across Africa and the globe
- A free pass to African Utility Week and POWERGEN Africa valued at R12,500
- Gain maximum exposure within a pool of the top power, energy and water decision-makers
- Learn about career opportunities
- Submissions open in January 2020
- Submit your individual abstract
- Individuals are selected by a AUW and PGAF Advisory Board members
- Based on your abstract, you could be selected to be part of your university team
- You will be notified on the success of your entry and be informed of your team members by 31 March 2020.
How do I Enter
You can simply enter online
Complete the submission form with the below information and submit this to firstname.lastname@example.org
Your submission should include:
- Abstract Title:
What is the biggest challenge in the current African energy sector and how would you propose to flip this around to being an opportunity? (maximum 500 words)
- List three learning objectives you would want to take home. (maximum 100 words)
- Your biography and a photograph
Meet the reigning winners of 2019!
Got more questions? Get in touch!
Get in touch with our Initiate! project lead to discuss the various options.
Project leader: Naz Fredericks
Contact Number: +27 (0) 21 001 3822 / +27 (0) 71 404 1142